For over fifty years the American Lawyers Alliance has been active in its support of public education, citizenship awareness and various service programs. Recognizing the vital role that teachers play in law-related education, the ALA continues to sponsor its annual Teacher of the Year Awards.
The purpose of these awards is to honor United States public and private Middle and High school teachers who have made significant contributions in the area of law-related education and who have developed programs that have
- Furthered the understanding of the role of the courts, law enforcement agencies and the legal profession
- Helped students recognize their responsibilities as well as their rights
- Encouraged effective law-related education programs in their schools and communities
- Increased communication among students, educators and those involved professionally in the legal system
Nominations for the 2017 ALA Law-Related Education Teacher of the Year Awards may be submitted by the applicant, school administrators, other teachers, students, lawyers, judges, professional members of the community, or any other interested parties.
Materials that must be submitted by each applicant:
- A completed Application Form
- A résumé (maximum of one page)
- A summary of law-related education activities (maximum of three pages)
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant
- Relevant supportive evidence such as newspaper articles or other publications that describe the nominee’s program (if available)
- Nominees must currently be teaching in public or private Middle and High schools in the United States.
- Home school teachers are ineligible.
- Teachers who applied but did not win in previous years are encouraged to reapply.
- A teacher may win an ALA LRE TOY Award only once.
- The complete entry (including Application Form) may not exceed ten pages.
- Applications may be mailed, e-mailed, or faxed.
- American Lawyers Alliance Board Members may not submit entries or write letters of recommendation for applicants.
- Entries will not be returned to applicants
Each of the three TOY winners will be presented a certificate and a $1500 cash (check) award at the Annual Meeting of the American Lawyers Alliance in New York, New York in early August 2017. An additional $500 (for hotel and travel expenses) will be given to each recipient who attends the Awards Luncheon.
Entries must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2017, and sent to the award chairperson listed below:
Middle School Chair
153 Abbott Woods Dr.
East Lansing, MI 48823
High School Chair
5090 St. Joseph Island Lane
Vero Beach, Florida 32967
AMERICAN LAWYERS ALLIANCE 2017 LAW-RELATED EDUCATION TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD APPLICATION FORM Deadline for Entry: March 15, 2017 Category: ( ) Middle or Junior High School ( ) High School Nominee information: Name_________________________________________________ Address_______________________________________________ _________________________________________City, State, Zip Telephone:home__________________Fax________________________ Cell number:_____________________ Email – Personal________________________________________________ School information: Name of School__________________________________________ Name of Principal________________________________________ Address_______________________________________________ _________________________________________City, State, Zip Telephone____________________Fax________________________ Email – School__________________________________________________ Name of School District_____________________________________ Number of Classes Taught___________________________________ Number of Students________________________________________ Newspaper Information for Press Release: Name of Newspaper_______________________________________ Address________________________________________________ _________________________________________City, State, Zip If I am chosen as a Teacher of the Year, I give permission to the ALA to notify my alumni association about the award. I also give permission to have the information put on the ALA website, the ALA Facebook page and sent to the relevant State Bar Association. ______________________________________________________ How You Learned of Contest: ______________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________ The application form and required materials should be mailed to the appropriate TOY chairperson. THANK YOU FOR APPLYING! The American Lawyers Alliance is a charitable, educational and nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote understanding and appreciation of the law and the American legal system.